Want to lose weight without dieting and exercising? I will let you in on my little secret…perfectly bronzed skin. With Custom Airbrush Tanning, I was treated to a session with Jen Barry at Bliss Spa W Boston Hotel. I had no expectations but was thrilled when I went home feeling 10 lbs lighter. My husband recently came home from a business trip and said, “Wow, you look great! Very skinny. What have you been doing?” I smiled and said nothing.
How does it work?
- Take a relaxing steam shower, (they don’t recommend exfoliating beforehand, because it will leave you with a streaky tan.)
- Remove all face makeup.
- Sit in the lounge and snack on my favorites- the signature brownie bites and cheese cubes with a hot tea.
- Have a moment of peace without your phone, because it’s that blissful.
- Within minutes Jen comes by to bring you to the tanning room. She has a sweet demeanor, very warm and bubbly and makes you feel instantly comfortable, (you will come to realize this is something very important as you are going to be standing there buck naked in a few minutes.)
- Remove all jewelry and put your hair up in a bun. You can optionally strip down to nothing at all, or use the disposable undies they have available.( I opted for the latter because it’s kinda nice to see the “tanline” so you know how much of a tan you actually got!)
A whirring sound then a smell of flowers, and the process begins…I held my arms out to the side and Jen began spraying the cool mist on my body from the gun that looks like a blow dryer. We had pre-selected medium, since I already had a nice base tan. I had booked my appointment on a Monday since I had a Wednesday event. Two days seems to be the optimal resting time. After being airbrushed and then dried with the same device, Jen gave me a disposable blue robe to put on and we walked back, barefoot, to the lounge where she had me wait another 10-15 minutes to further dry.
Wear loose fitting black clothing! My dress was lighter colored and ended up getting some of the tanning product on it, (which washed out easily). I went home feeling sexy but a bit sticky and followed instructions not to take a shower or wash my face until the next day. The shower water turned a bit brown, washing off the external tanning solution, but the skin remained a beautiful golden glow. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate is the key to keeping this tan. Lotion on your skin after showering and later in the day as well will keep the tan going for up to 2 weeks. The cost of the service is $60, (not including gratuity), which isn’t too bad to look like you’ve spent the summer in St. Tropez…
They say the camera adds 10 lbs, but all I can say is that the airbrush tanning takes off 10lbs. Try it, you’ll like it.
EDITOR AT LARGE
CHIEF FASHION CORRESPONDENT
ABOUT THE SB BLOG
styleboston is now an online community of curators covering a variety of subjects.
styleboston online provides up-to-the-minute editorial content with a lineup of vibrant contributors covering the latest trends in fashion, art, entertainment, food, travel, and design. This newly revved up platform, an edgy online version of the television show, is quickly becoming the definitive online lifestyle guide for savvy Bostonians. styleboston online is your go-to digital lifestyle connection.
To view styleboston the television show – visit styleboston.tv.
JOIN USInterested in writing for styleboston? Send your resume and writing samples to email@example.com.