We’ve waited, and it is here. No, we still have weeks to go before New York Fashion Week Spring 2012 and we must hold on yet one more day to see our local favorite, David Chum, wow Heidi Klum and friends on the season 9 premier of “Project Runway.” Sadly, I’m referring to the will of the great, late fashion designer Alexander McQueen…
- £250,000 [$410,000] to each of his three sisters and two brothers
- £50,000 pounds [$82,000] to each of his housekeepers, his godson, his nieces, and his nephews
- £50,000 [$82,000] for the continual care of his dogs, Minter, Juice and Callum
- £100,000 [$164,000] each to the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home and the Blue Cross Animal Welfare Charity, two charities that provide care for abandoned animals
- £100,000 [$164,000] each to the London Buddhist Center and the Terrence Higgins Trust, both of which promote sex education and sexual health.
The designer left the remainder (and majority) of his £16 million [$26 million] estate to his charity, Sarabande, named after his Spring/Summer 2007 collection best remembered for look number 46: an English country garden-style dress made entirely of fresh flowers. He requested that some of the money be used for scholarships at London’s Central St. Martin’s College of Art and Design, his alma mater.
McQueen’s will serves as further reminder that there is much to be missed in his passing: his impact on the world of fashion and his unbridled artistry, of course, but also, his compassion and his generous heart.
EDITOR AT LARGE
CHIEF FASHION CORRESPONDENT
Anna Paula Goncalves
ABOUT THE SB BLOG
styleboston is now an online community of curators covering a variety of subjects.
styleboston online provides up-to-the-minute editorial content with a lineup of vibrant contributors covering the latest trends in fashion, art, entertainment, food, travel, and design. This newly revved up platform, an edgy online version of the television show, is quickly becoming the definitive online lifestyle guide for savvy Bostonians. styleboston online is your go-to digital lifestyle connection.
To view styleboston the television show – visit styleboston.tv.
JOIN USInterested in writing for styleboston? Send your resume and writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org.